How To Become The Best Interior Designer In The World?
Becoming the best at what you do in life is not a job or a task. It’s a campaign. Yes it is!
Let me make one thing very clear to you. If you have come here thinking of it as some quick fix to be the best in what you do, I’d suggest you think twice before moving on. Do you really think it is that easy? Like some magic formula which can make you an overnight success? There is nothing in this world called overnight success. That happens only in the movies. Like I said it’s a F*%#ING CAMPAIGN.
I hope you’re clear by now that this is going to be tough & difficult, but let me tell you one more thing that it will neither kill you nor it is impossible to achieve.
The Truth Is……
When I started my Interior Design career, I had a friend who was willing to start with me, and he had faith in me and my vision. But, as weeks went by, and we weren’t getting any good lead to work with nor did we had any solid work under our belt. Doubts started creeping into his mind and it is very natural. He found himself standing at two-way street. He didn’t know what to do or where else to go. His love towards me did not let him bother me with his negative thoughts.
One day he gathered some courage and walked up to me and asked. He quotes “Bro! What are the odds of us surviving in this career?” I asked what do you mean? He said we have not gotten our breakthrough yet. And it is been almost half a year. He sounded very intense and worried. I threw a smirk at him which made him frown a little in disagreement.
In reply to his worry and disagreement, I asked him how long you’ve been wanting to ask me this question? He replied about more than couple of weeks. I smirked again. (What an A** I was) This time he was agitated. I told him to calm down. It took you more than 15 days to ask me such a silly question. Do you think answer to your question will come that easy? He understood all of it. He is now an Executive Manager in Green Pen Decor and still worried, but now about the project’s deadlines.
Allow me to share our journey to this campaign which is still on and will be forever.
# 1 — BEING GREAT IN YOUR PERSONAL LIFE:
First and foremost thing you should do to be great in whatever you do in life, is to first be great in your own personal life. Your personal life habits, behavior and approach sets the tone for things that are related to you. Even professionally!
- Be passionate. You want to bring passion to all parts of your life. It will help you to be excited about what you do and what you experience. Being passionate always drive people towards you. Those who are passionate about things are appreciated more and criticized less.
- Believe in yourself. If you don’t believe that you can succeed, all your effort will be worthless.
- Cultivate gratitude. Being grateful for things in your life is a prime way to boost your mental and physical health. It doesn’t necessarily mean that everything is going swimmingly in your life. In fact, many of the most grateful people are those who have experienced some trauma or life altering (usually “bad”) event, like an illness or death of a loved one.
- Stay healthy. You’ll need to keep your health as much as possible if you’re looking to be great. Again, there are certain things that can’t be helped (like certain illnesses that come out of nowhere) but maintaining a healthy lifestyle can help you manage these types of conditions. If you don’t have a serious illness, having a healthy lifestyle can boost your energy and make life easier to cope with.
- Take responsibility for your actions. One thing that is incredibly important to being great, is to take responsibility for the things that you do and feel. Remember, that no one owes you anything (not respect, not sex, not love) except civility and that the same is true of you.
- Don’t listen to others. They will tell you that you can’t do this, you can’t do that. All of it is crap. Nobody knows you better than you do.
# 2 — WAKE UP IN THE PRESENT, EACH DAY:
Lets rephrase the above sub-title and you tell me the difference you feel after reading them both. “DO NOT WAKE UP IN THE PAST”
Feel the difference between both of them? Although both mean the same thing but the way they make you think of the situation is far different than the other. Isn’t it? The difference between both the sentence determines your day.
If I will ask you not to think about a monkey, more often than not you will start to think about monkey and after a while there will be monkeys everywhere. And you will wonder how the F*@# did this happen?
Our brain, mind and thoughts are the most powerful thing we have in our entire body. Make sure to use it to your advantage and not to your disadvantage. Train yourself to always be in present. What happened is passed. Neither you nor anyone can bring it back or change it. but if you keep thinking about it you will miss the chance to change it in your present as well as in your future.
Don’t drag the baggage of your negativity of past and let it hold back your present. Wake up like a crazy person!
Say: YEAH BABY! I AM READY TO ROCK N ROLL! WOHOO! MAN, IT IS SO COLD AND MY BONES FEEL GREAT! AHA!
Just get up and get ready! If you wake up like a piece of shit, you are going to feel like shit for the whole damn day. Man, life is beautiful, life is great, life is full of drama that makes life worth living! My troubles are lessons, my problems make me strong, they make me smarter and clever, the weather cannot stop me, the conditions of the roads cannot put me to a halt, because I want to enjoy all of the things that life throws at me and become better!
# 3 — CHANGE SOMETHING OR EVERYTHING IN YOUR LIFE:
Since how long you’ve been living the same way everyday? Don’t you feel like a robot already? Same old thing. Wake up, brush your teeth, rush for shower, get out get ready and leave without a breakfast. Really? You call this a quality life?
MAN, SPICE IT UP!
Don’t let your mind get programmed to stick to one schedule. Be a little fun, unpredictable and change your routine. Don’t train your mind to go nuts and think that this life sucks, and this is a story of everyday and for the rest of your life. This sucks the excitement from your very core of life. And then you start the blame game when you start feeling empty, hollow and upset”.
No! Change your routine every 3 to 4 weeks. At least change the part where you wake up and go to sleep. I understand that it is difficult to change what you do in the middle but the things you do in the first part and the last part of your day is very very important!
Why don’t you:
Wake up, do a quick stretch, brush your teeth but with the non-dominant one, wash your face, have a cup of tea at home and then go for a walk or maybe do yoga or read a book while walking. Maybe meditate for a few minutes, sing in a shower and then go to work? Go NUTS!
Do something different, do something weird and creative. Make life exciting! Don’t just wake up and say “Here we go again! You know the drill!”. Change the way you live your life a little and you will see life becomes fun, exciting and new!
# 4 — DO SOMETHING NEW EACH DAY, LET IT BE ANYTHING:
Are you scared of talking to people? Or you are scared of looking directly in someones eye?
Does the judgments of others scares you?
Are you scared of dancing in public or scared of public speeches?
Your fears are something that you area scared of?
Go out there and just do it. Live a little for a change. Go and conquer your fears, one by one, day by day. You should do something that is absolutely normal but something that you fear. Lay down on the middle of the footpath, shout in public “I DO NOT CARE BECAUSE I WANT TO LIVE!” or go to work and greet everyone you encounter with with a smile!
You will see that the things that hold you back and the things you always wanted to do is actually largely accepted. You are being scared for no reason at all. These problems only existed in your mind because you allowed it to exist.
Talk to stranger, be kind for no reason with everyone or even if it is just once but make it meaningful. No matter how much of an idiot you look to other, just get the fear out in open and face it. You’ve got this!
# 5 — GET COACHING/EDUCATION:
Take your dreams seriously. Most people don’t. Take them serious enough to become amazing and move beyond mediocre. Get education and coaching.
“When the student is ready the teacher will appear.” — Buddha
I am not asking you to enroll for some expensive outrageous courses. There is so much knowledge is available these days and that too for free of cost. All thanks to Internet. you just have to be willing to upgrade your knowledge tank.
If you ask me I have so many skills which I have developed along the way into my Interior Design career. I know pottery, content writing, graphics and I do my own digital marketing too. Still fresh but learning as much as I can. All at the cost of just a dime.
You might wonder how I get time to do so much stuff. Isn’t it? I use my time well that’s it. No judgment here but I make sure I lay out a plan for my entire day. What am I going to do while I am traveling or when I am exercising. I listen to the audios, videos and read books. These things help you lot to master your skill or even learn new one..
# 6 — BREAK SOME RULES AND MAKE NEW ONES:
When I enrolled for my Interior Design school, my great father wasn’t happy with my decision. He wanted me to join his business and take it further which I tried but I didn’t feel myself there. I just couldn’t! All the peers at my school was almost 4 years younger than me. To be honest, most of them were there at the school, because their family member were into an Interior Design related industry.
They’re playing by rules that halt optimal performance. They are climbing traditional ladders intended to slow them down and keep them average.
I didn’t just break the rule. But, I broke the shackle that were holding me back. I had decided that this what I am made for and going to be doing this for the rest of my life. Although, I made a clear statement, when I received a “Student Of The Year Award” for consecutive year. I made clear to myself and to the world, that I am coming and please be ready for me.
Design is everything about breaking the rules. Successful and new design can only born if you break the old rules and make new one.
Instead of following the rules set by society, create your own rules. Restructure the game to automate your success. Dismiss the haters, convention, and conformity. Follow your heart and the voice inside you encouraging faith and forward movement. In order to be happy, you must build a lifestyle around being true to yourself. If you’re true to yourself, good things will follow.
# 7 — CONSISTENCY IS POWER IN LIFE:
You mustn’t stress if you still haunt got your big break or the dream project you’ve been dreaming of. You know we all can participate in the marathon but only few completes the marathon, ever wondered why? It requires commitment first and then other things like fitness, dedication etc. Life is a marathon which tests your commitment for being better today than yesterday.
If design is your love and you love designing, you’ll do it regardless of the outcome. If you keep your focus on the end result, then you will miss the whole fun of the process. Fall in love with the process more than the result. If you fall in love with the process and focus on doing your best now, be pretty sure that the result will be in your favor.
There is a natural law known as the Compound Effect. If you invest a small amount of money consistently, eventually compound interest takes over and growth becomes exponential. The same holds true for any habit, whether good or bad. If you do something long enough, compounding will take effect, momentum will surge, and you’ll begin to experience exponential results.
When you want something bad enough, you will do whatever it takes to make it happen. If you don’t, you won’t. You’ll be willing to reduce time with friends and hobbies, forego sleep, make big asks, take risks, find a mentor, get educated, and look foolish. You’ll be surprised how quickly you become Profitable when you take your work seriously.
Never take advice from someone you wouldn’t want to switch places with. However, in order to become the best at what you do, at some point you leave it all behind. You become an innovator. A pioneer. An artist.
Getting to the top 5-10 percent of Interior Design club isn’t easy. It requires discipline and work with an intention to be at the top. Follow the principles taught by those top 10 club members.
# 8 — CELEBRATE YOUR ACHIEVEMENTS. YOU’VE EARNED IT:
This may sound cliché. But celebrating your achievements or even a small victory boosts your confidence to head above your roof. It motivates you achieve all your goals in expectation of the rewards later.
Rewarding yourself sends a single to your brain that every little achievement is going to get celebrated and that helps you stay on the good side. It will help you with the push that you might need when you are feeling low on the supply of motivation.
When striving towards greatness, you need to take time to recognize and celebrate the things you’ve already accomplished. It gives you opportunity for recovering and rejuvenating yourself. It acts like retreat.
- Think back over the last 24 hour period. What was your greatest accomplishment in that time? It could be something as simple as “A sketch or even a doodling” to something as big as “didn’t give up on finishing the design of a bedroom.”
Apart from the obvious things in life such as work hard, give everything your 100% and blah, blah, blah and all the things you’ve heard a gazillion times, here are a few more tips from me that you should use:
- Be aware of your surroundings. Observe everything and everyone. Check where people are going, what they are doing, who they are with, what you think they feel and what type of people they are. Soon you will be able to join the dots and understand people better. You would have made a logical pattern in your head and you would know exactly what is going to happen, when and how. It is truly an amazing ability that you can develop.
- Be patient. My cousin taught me something. Actually I observed it. He never made a decision or took action on anything important until he was mentally prepared. I absorbed that trait of his and now I make better and clearer decisions. Think about the possibilities and the outcomes of an action. Wait a little and think until you know the best method.
- Books are a good source of information. Not because they only contain information but because you enter the life of the author too sometimes. You learn about others’ creativity and therefore, you actually see “new” worlds, shape shifting your perspectives and forcing you to think outside-of-the-box and become less ignorant, more aware of yourself and others, as well as less narrow-minded. Also, you can apply the methods that you read in real life too.
- Educational videos are gold. Sometimes we get bored of reading. We would prefer watching something that gives us a more realistic feeling. Watch things that interest you and that might spark your attention.
- Apply what you learn. What good is knowledge when you can’t use it? I understand there are theories but these theories give you a deeper understanding of the works. However, to use it helps you experience life in a different way.
- Have meaningful conversations. Many times in the cafe or in large crowds, I hear people having meaningless conversations. A little banter has no harm but a limit is requires. Your focus should be to absorb as much information as possible.
- Ask questions. It doesn’t matter about the type of question. Questions are for answers and answers are for knowledge too. So keep on asking and listening.
- Make logical plans. It sounds absurd but the brain is a muscle, you need to work it out. One way that I like to work the brain out is by making plans as to how I might approach things. For example, how I might approach a client in a week.
- Have a friendly talk. Pick a topic and talk about it with someone. When you talk with different people about what they think about certain things, you start to understand how their minds work. You also enter the minds of other people too.
- Work on your weaknesses. Accept yourself as you are now. Don’t lie to yourself, that’s one of the worse things you can do. Accept that you suck. Now all you have to do is make sure that you don’t suck too much in those areas.
- Work on your interests. There’s no way you can be the best. If you was then you shouldn’t be here. If you like art, work on it. Grab a paintbrush and paint. Strengthen yourself somewhere.
- Focus on the important. You can be a jack of all trades but you need to be a master somewhere. Focus on the important things in your life. One of them is your career. Perfect your craft and work on it day and night.
- Be selfish about your capabilities. Sometimes we tend to underestimate ourselves. I like to say to my friends that you have the capability to think and see, to move and speak, so use it wisely and use it selfishly. Make good use of your senses and actually use it to the full potential. I know, we use 100% but we’re being lazy with it.
And I guess I should leave you there.